Saturday, August 24, 2013

The F I E L D pt. 1 (a series of catch-up posts)

Ah to be in the
g r e a t    o u t d o o r s

Hello from British Columbia, Canada! 


This is the first of many posts from the Field detailing the many happenings, discoveries, and adventures that unfold before the research group and myself. First, I must introduce the stunning group of researchers I've been so fortunate to engage with and learn from...

C A S T
Hydration is key in the field

C Page Chamberlain
Principle Investigator, Stable Isotope Biogeochemistry Lab – Stanford Univ., aspiring Jew, fearless leader
Photo Courtesy of the man himself, Hari Mix (read his awesome article on his own blog!)

Hari T. Mix
Senior-most Ph.D. Student of Chamberlain Group, world-class alpinist, yo-yo designer and champion, pianist, part-hippie, marmot-lover




Hammering for science
Matthew Jacob Winnick
3rd year Ph.D. student of Chamberlain Group, guitarist extraordinaire, literature enthusiast, Jewish, super hip new hairstyle, my advisor




"foaming"


Jeremy Caves
2nd year Ph.D. student of Chamberlain Group, ukulele player, native New Mexican, Amtrak “Foamer”, Jewish, future German-speaker


"What's up dude, I'm just sciencing, you kno"


Daniel Enrique Ibarra

pre-1st Year Ph.D. student of Chamberlain Group, holder of 3 degrees (2 BS + 1 MS),  jazz flautist, science nerd, rugby beast


Our Cruise Machine


Bessie
Our beloved and deeply despised Cruise America limousine, grey-water enthusiast, sucker of batteries, attractor of yellow-jackets, despot of the car-sick-prone (me)

It's one thing to be an undergraduate field assistant (stress on the "ass" syllable here), and quite another to be an undergrad research assistant or researcher. The difference lies not simply in your duties to expand scientific understanding while bettering the world by virtue of creating revolutionary, challenging new explanations for natural phenomena; it also lies in the expectations that your mentors have for you and their world and culture of research. 

In my case, I have been fortunate to have the slightest peek into the lives of these 5 scientists, without being (totally) treated as an inexperienced undergraduate. I'll be the first to admit that I know relatively very little about geology (despite acing Intro to Geology). Yet, no question I asked was stupid, no question ignored, and even the most outwardly convoluted and nonsensical science conversations were (attempted to be) made accessible. These guys care and care enough to want me to care. I appreciate this on a very deep level. Thanks guys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment